With the Groups options available on the Tools tab of the Ribbon, users are able to assign a name to a group of records and subsequently retrieve that group. It is also possible to add records to a Static group, replace the records in a Static group, update the search criteria in a Dynamic group.
With the Groups module, users are able to manage groups (insert, update and delete) in a familiar module interface. Group permissions use Record Level Security to determine which operations are available to which users. The creator of a group, or someone with permission to alter security settings, can assign other users the permission to manage the group. Available permissions are:
- display - a user can retrieve the group
- edit - a user can add or replace records in the group
- delete - a user can delete the group
Three types of groups are supported and we examine these separately:
- Static - a list of record IRNs
- Terms - a list of columns and associated search terms
- Query - a dynamic group created with a TexQL statement
Two functions relevant to each group are described here:
- Search the Groups module for the group.
Summary details about the group can be found on the Group tab, e.g. its Type (Static, Terms or Query), the module it is found in, its Purpose and Status and owner:
A tab named after the group Type will be listed below the Group tab, e.g. Static, Terms or Query.
- Select the Static, Terms or Query tab:
- The Static tab holds the IRNA unique identifier automatically assigned when a record is created. and Summary DataEvery record has a Summary Data field. Summary Data is a combination of key data in a record (taken from one or more fields). In Details View the current record's Summary Data displays beneath the Ribbon. A target record's Summary Data displays in an attachment field when an attachment has been made. Which field or combination of fields in a module is used to make up Summary Data can be specified by each institution (and implemented by Axiell developers). for each record in the group and includes a count of records in the group.
- The Terms tab lists column names and search terms.
- The Query tab holds a TexQL query statement.
- To view the records in the group, click View .
The source module (Parties for example) will open and retrieve all records in the group.
A group is deleted from the Groups module in the same way that we delete any record:
- Search the Groups module for the group(s).
- From the module Ribbon:
Delete the current recordThe record currently displayed in Details View or highlighted in List View (there is a faint dotted line around it). It is only possible to have one current record at a time. by selecting File>Delete>Current Record
Delete selected record(s)A selected record is one that has been chosen either on its own or to as part of a group of records. It is usual to select the records you want to be affected by an operation before performing the operation. Selected records are used in many instances, e.g. when a number of records are to be: discarded, saved in a group, or attached to another record. A selected record displays on screen with a blue background when in List View. by selecting File>Delete>Selected Records
A message displays asking you to confirm the deletion of the record(s).
- Click Yes to delete the group.