Here you'll find details about:
Select File>New Record from the Ribbon
Select New Record on the Home tab of the Ribbon
Use the keyboard shortcut: CTRL+N
The module opens in New mode (the current mode is always indicated in the module Title bar and Summary bar):
An Internal Record Number (IRN A unique identifier automatically assigned when a record is created.) is automatically assigned and displays in the top right corner.
- Click in a field (or press the
TABkey once) to move to the first field and enter a value.Details about working with fields
Details about working with different types of fields can be found here.
- If a Lookup List is available, it is good practice to use it to select a value for the field. This ensures that values are entered with the correct spelling and format. If required, and you have permission to do so, add a new value to the Lookup List.
- If a field already contains a value, this is a default value A value that displays automatically in a field in Insert / New or Search mode.. Details about default values can be found Default values and how to make use of them.
- If the field is for a date or time, see Date and time fields.
Details about working with fields that are tables (e.g. Other Names in the image above), can be found here.
- Complete as many fields on each tab as possible / required.
Tip: To cancel the record without saving it, click Cancel on the Home tab of the Ribbon.
- Save the record.
The record undergoes validation. You may be prompted to go back and complete a mandatory field or to reselect a value from a Lookup List. After the record passes validation it is saved and added to the database.
If the details of an existing record change, you'll need to edit the record.
When you edit a record it becomes read-only for everyone else. If another user tries to make changes to the record you are editing, they will receive an error message.
To edit a record:
All new records or changes to existing records must be saved and validated before being added to the
Record validation occurs when a record is saved.
To save a record:
Select File>Save Record from the Ribbon
- Select Save Record on the Home tab of the Ribbon
Note: The Save Record option only displays on the Home tab when a new record has been added to the module or changes have been made to an existing record.
- Use the keyboard shortcut:
See Record validation for details off how data is validated when a record is saved.